but nowww i'm on the poisonwood bible and it is fantastic. kind of toni morrison-esque. each chapter is from a different point of view. the daughter who everyone thinks is mute actually just chooses not to speak and is actually very worldly/articulate. easy to picture the scene, to the point where you feel the grittiness of the dirt under your feet.
when i was in middle school i remember sitting in english class and thinking about how the candy they unwrap in books must be some kind of special candy with really complicated wrappers. the way it was described in such detail made it not even seem real at that point. sometimes when i read back over some of my blonde in taiwan posts, i wish i had described things in better detail. but what can you do!

How random, I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible right now too. I'm kind of meh about it though. I think the writing is good but just can't get into it. I'm not invested in any of the characters. Maybe Ada, but I want a book that I just can't put down. Any suggestions?
ReplyDeleteit's a little blah but it seems that much better after just having read some of 100 days of solitude.
ReplyDeletethe last books i couldn't put down are all travel books..
shantaram
under the tuscan sun
eat pray love
without reservations by alice steinbach
the good earth
lost on planet china
a short history of nearly everything by bill bryson is good. it's long/detailed
outliers by malcom gladwell