Wednesday, August 18, 2010

change your ways

so today during the interview i was basically offered an afterschool teaching position. part time. 3rd graders. but i really don't want to skip a month-long trip to china for a part time afterschool job. full time? sure. real job? ok. 20 hours a week to end up netting 3k in 4 months AND miss out on china? no thanks. plus, i already bought my sleeping bag.
it folds up to the size of a nalgene bottle (5 by 10). and i know you're thinking 'but megan, it isn't even a real backpacking trip. you won't be sleeping outside, you'll be in hostel beds and train sleeper cars.' but nowww i'll have my own little sanitized comfy pouch to sleep in. and what if we have to sleep overnight in a train station or otherwise sketchy outpost?

anyway now that i'm turning down the second job, i'm fully committing to china in late september. and only applying for jobs i actually want if they're offered to me (what a concept, right?). it's hard though when you start feeling pressure to just make money regardless of how you make it. but now my name is in the sub pool for that school and 2 school districts. so we'll see.

7 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea. Don't take any job that you don't want. Make sure it's something so awesome that if you had to miss a trip to China for it, it would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Travel M! You're young and there will be jobs for you upon your return. I'll say it again-TRAVEL.;)

    Can you sub without a BEd? Curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i think traveling definitely wins.
    you can sub as long as you have a high school diploma, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU GO NOW!
    AUNT PAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleeping bag is a totally great idea. The night I left Taiwan I slept in the Bangkok Airport. I wished I had brought a sleeping bag. Instead I used my backpack as a pillow and a sarong and a sweater to cover up.

    Sleeping bag > Sarong "blanket"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I'd be very pleased if I was travelling around with my girlfriend and she insisted on cocooning herself in a solo mummy bag at every sleeping opportunity.

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. it unzips :P more of a bedbug barrier than a boyfriend barrier.

    ReplyDelete