whenever i need a recipe for something, the first place i search is smitten kitchen. deb, the woman who runs it, picks delicious recipes from gourmet magazine and other cookbooks and magazines and almost everything i've tried from there turns out really well. the best part is that they all require some real cooking. no silly shortcuts or 15 minute promises.
it was laughably messy to rinse/dry/chop two bundles of swiss chard. i was covered in water, the island was all wet, the floor was wet. but it was a lot of fun.
so no one in our family has had swiss chard before and since we have two giant plants in the garden, i wanted to find out what it tasted like before i harvest my own. i made spaghetti with swiss chard and garlic chips and it was delicious. really garlicy. the chard is really yummy, and somehow it seems healthier than spinach just because it tastes earthier or more mineraly.
the recipe calls for green chard, but sprouts only had red, so mine doesn't look quite the same but i can't imagine the different varieties taste too different. maj and i decided we would make it again.
next time you need a recipe, try something off that website and let me know how it turns out. her recipe page is organized so well. you can look at recipes by season, ingredient, type of food, etc. it's great.

I visit smitten kitchen religiously. I went there all the time when I first got really into cooking (about 5 or 6 years ago) and I've been going back ever since. I like to take her recipes as a base and them adapt/run with them. :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Smitten Kitchen. Her scones are the best recipe I've ever found.
ReplyDeleteooh yay i'm glad you guys love SK too :) (jimmie does that remind you of SK II?)
ReplyDelete