Friday, November 30, 2012

Mumbai

We're only in Mumbai for 14 hours or so and I feel embarrassed to say I'm kind of glad. We've been on the relaxed version of our India tour, and I'm looking forward to the beach. It's hard to see so much poverty. We didn't go to the slums, but it's just very very poor all along the road. I guess there's some of that everywhere we've been. You've never seen children so filthy. It's really sad. I keep thinking of my friend Stacy's son, drew, and how sweet and cute he is and just thinking of him with no clothes living in a heap of trash. My mom has always said that moms around the world all want the same things for their kids, and it's sad to think that some moms have to watch their kids grow up like that.

Aside from being a little bummed about that, we've been well these last few days. Yesterday we took a taxi around town with this driver named billu who's been driving a rickshaw for 37 years. He took us to a spice market and we went to the top of a mountain to watch the sunset.

Last night we took an overnight train to Mumbai. We were sitting with a bunch if men who recently completed their train security guard recertification. They were hilarious. I went to bed early but it seems like JD had an interesting time staying up late and chatting.

We're going to try to get ourselves out to the suburbs to catch our early morning train to Goa. It's the only daytime train we're taking because it runs along the coast and its supposed to be beautiful.

Half way through!









No comments:

Post a Comment