Monday, December 5, 2011

my my my

tonight i discovered a little 5 piece gift pack of face wash/lotion that one of my mom's friends had given her. it's all Q10 stuff from japan apparently. what is it about women and skincare regimens? 

my friend marisa wrote a blog post once (two, it turns out) about how she tries every kind of lotion under the sun. i do the same thing, but i'd really like to get to the point where i just use one lotion/cleanser/etc that i love and stick with it. my mom has used noxema forever because her mom used it. the smell of it reminds me of sunburns as a little kid when we would put it on our shoulders. 

a year or so ago, my friend stacy recommended two things that i now swear by. one is cetaphil face wash. the reviews on the website call it 'a great inexpensive cleanser,' but at more than $10 a bottle, it seems pretty pricey to me. anyway a bottle lasts forever, and the pump is so easy in the shower or to use at the sink when you can't open your eyes because your face is all wet. it doesn't foam or bubble, but it works really well to take off mascara and makeup. 
(image from cetaphil.com)

for the record, i've been on the hunt for a non-greasy-non-shiny facial moisturizer foreeever and ever, and after trying and failing with kiehl's and clinique and whatever else, cetaphil's daily moisturizer with 15sph is the only thing i've found that isn't shiny or greasy. 

the other thing stacy recommended is neutrogena's rapid clear 2 in 1 fight & fade gel, which i love. my skin doesn't often go crazy anymore, but this stuff really helps clear up whatever does pop up. it's also kind of expensive at $10+ a tube, but i've had the same tube for easily a year, and there's still 1/3 or so left. 
(image from neutrogena.com)

and finally, i know it puts me in the grandma category, but i love amazing grace by philosophy. it's a little bit flowery and a little bit citrusy. but not overly sweet or overly grandma. it just smells clean and fresh. love it. 
(image from philosophy.com)

last thing: this weekend i had to run out the door to a party but i noticed my nails had begun to chip, so i just painted over the chipped parts and then painted over my whole nail with a clear top coat, and they've been lovely ever since then. you can't see where the line is between old and new at all. 

and those are megan's random beauty tips.

7 comments:

  1. I've heard many raves about Cetaphil but have yet to try it. I currently use Oil of Olay Foaming Face Wash for sensitive skin and I think it works pretty well. I usually just buy whatever is cheapest since I know I probably won't love it anyway. Maybe I should splurge and find something I actually really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things skin care-related. I'm loyal to Vichy face wash in the am and Cetaphil soap in the pm. My normal skin "likes" this routine. I swear by Dr.Hauschka creams for my face. Been using them for yrs. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah definitely try it. it comes in smaller bottles too.
    i guess women just have a universal love of skin care stuff.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recently become attached to Origins zero oil lotion (not greasy and finishes matte - win!). It's a bit expensive (somewhere between $19.50 and $26.00) and the bottle is small, but a little goes a long way. Also using Origins checks and balances face wash - a little goes a LONG way with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay i used to use checks and balances face wash too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Megan! Funny that I read this post today after being at the hairdresser. She and I had a discussion about my skin and what she thought I ought to be using. I've used Clarins, Clinques,and Mary Kays 12 step programs-oops 3 steps...I've been an Olay of Olay, Garnier skin cleanser w/ the tiny beads in the shower for the last 2 years. And honestly I'm ambivalent. I may venture towards cetaphil or another product on your blog.

    Mema was driving me to work at the State Beach one morning in 1980 and she looked over at me from the steering wheel of her Mercury Marquis and said "you're nose is awfully shiny!" I had just used Olay of Olay. Our english babysitter Pat Squires got me using it in high school. Up until that moment of my life I never considered having a shiny face/nose. I've never forgotten it, nor did I put an action plan into change anything. Here I am 30 years later using Oil of Olay. Interesting................
    Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah minky and i used oil of olay for a long time but it does feel pretty greasy and it's definitely shiny. my friend marisa wrote on her blog about how they changed the formula and it smells a lot like sunscreen now, too.
    see if you like cetaphil?

    ReplyDelete